I’m not sure how many people come into the IDD program with an arts related background (actually my background is kind of all over the map, but it does contain some art studio experience) so I thought it might be interesting for me (and any others for that matter) to reflect on the studio experience in comparison with an art studio experience. I will say that there are some distinct similiarities and some differences…
- Both are self learning experiences under the direction of an instructor. The instructor may give guidance, but a majority of the work is done independently.
- Both have a critical review process by peers, IDD studio in written desk crits, and arts studio in critique, which is generally a verbal format. I think one of the challenges in both is that people really do not know how to critique. Doing it well is a very hard skill to learn. It’s neither about being overly cruel (ripping something to shreds without justification) or conversely, singing its praises. Also, it’s not necessarily just about pointing out small technical imperfections, but should look at the work in its entirety. I know that I struggle with critique (and desk crits, for that matter) but it is a good part of the process. One difference between desk crits and art critique is that it is usually a group (or in many cases the whole class) who look at the work. I do think there are good ideas that arise out of a group critique which would not normally come out in individual discussion.
- At an undergraduate level, the arts studio classes are at a much more instructional and technical level: students are assigned general things to do (such as drawing from a life model) which is in some ways similiar to the exercises and proficiency check that 6190 first timers do. At a graduate level, students have much more freedom to choose their tools and medium, as well as the content of their works.
- Both IDD studio & arts classes work toward an end goal: either submission of a portfolio, a final exhibit, or in the case of IDD, the showcase.
- One difference between arts studio and IDD studio is